Monday, June 10, 2013

The Healing Power of Art

Creating through emotions


This past week I lost a very dear friend to cancer.
The news hit me pretty hard
and I found myself unable to deal
with all the emotions and unanswered questions
that were stirred within me.

So I found myself retreating
quietly to myself . . .
praying
thinking
writing poetry
and doing my artwork.

I created the above artwork
with watercolor and ink
and all the while
with each and every pen stroke
worked out my emotions
of losing my friend Jim.

Art heals in so many ways.
It forces us to come
in a very raw state of mind
and let go ... to create.
It allows us to be present
in the very moment
of wherever we are
and work it through.

I am so grateful to be an Artist,
to feel confident enough
to now call myself an Artist.
It is a gift in my life
and creating through emotions
has taught me to be a better person.

When I completed this piece of artwork,
I stood back and observed,
feeling grateful for having known 
a very dear man
and 
grateful that I now have a 
beautiful reminder 
as a keepsake
for all time.

Art Saves
Art Heals
Art Reminds Us
Art Renews the Spirit

For that I am truly grateful

Donna Lee


No comments:

Post a Comment

I am so glad you visited this post today ... please feel free to comment on anything you have heard here today. Your opinions matter to me!