Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Woven Thoughts...The Time to Create



Each day is a new beginning. Time to do all the things we must do, yet it is also a chance to carve out time to do what we love. Our creative self needs time to come out and play. Yet it does seem that we put everything else ahead of our creative time, when that is just what we really need. Why is that? Is it that we do not honor the artist that lives within? Do we feel it as a guilty pleasure to have time to sit and give into our creative urges?

I used to have the philosophy that I could sit and spend time with my art, when everything else was right in my world. The house was cleaned, the laundry done, email checked, phone calls out of the way, etc. Whatever speck of time was left perhaps, then and only then could I run into my studio and create something in a few short minutes. I did that for a long time. I did accomplish creative things, but it took me longer to complete them. Then I was frustrated because I wasn't finishing when I wanted too. Goodness knows if I was creating something that was commission work, I had a deadline to contend with also. That was added pressure on myself. The cycle of frustration continued. It continued because I allowed it to.

I view my art work totally different now. I look forward to spending time with my creative self. I make it a priority; not an afterthought. What a difference it has made for me! Try actually setting a creative time for yourself, it can work. A time where even your family and friends know and expect you to be working in your studio. Make it something you look forward to and that you anticipate. It took me awhile to find just the right time for me that also worked with my job outside of the home and family responsibilities. I only know what has worked for me. When I am in balance with life, family, spiritual and mental health; then I know my art will flourish.

For me the time is early morning. I love that time especially. Time well spent in my studio, with my soft music, my candlelight and my creative self. Whether painting, or weaving..the time I am able to express myself is worth so much. It also adds to my day at work, because I have fed my creative self first! I am actually getting more things done at a better pace and my quality of work is better.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I am so glad you visited this post today ... please feel free to comment on anything you have heard here today. Your opinions matter to me!